Friday, May 8, 2020

Adventures in Genealogy

A few years ago I was bitten by the genealogy bug, and I joined Ancestry and started putting together a family tree. My grandfather's name was Joseph A. Barthet, and he was born on October 23, 1884, in Donaldsonville, LA. He died in New Orleans in 1966. 


Apparently, there was another Joseph A. Barthet, possibly my great grandfather, who was a photographer in Labadieville in the late 1800's. The Louisiana Digital Archives has several photographs by the "Barthet Brothers Photography Studio" in its collection. The photographer credited with some of the shots was Joseph Barthet.

So a reasonable person would think my grandfather, who was an auto mechanic (he worked on Greyhound buses) was somehow related to Joseph Barthet, the photographer. My grandfather was from Labadieville, as shown on some old family documents I have in the family file folder, and the photographer worked in Labadieville.

This was way back in the early days of photography. I remember being told that my grandfather was at one time a traveling photographer who would go from town to town and take pictures of people at fairs and carnivals. 

Surely he is related to the Barthet who opened a photography studio with his brother in Labadieville. Either way, I found that interesting, given the fact that I have been a photographer all of my life. Here are some Barthet Brothers photographs in the state archives.Click on the image below to make them larger.


Joseph Barthet was also listed as Postmaster in Labadieville in 1928, but he died in 1933 and had to be replaced.