Monday, June 27, 2016

When Southeastern La. College Became A University

Back in 1970 when Southeastern Louisiana College in Hammond was in the process of becoming a university, there was a lot of excitement. I was a writer on the student newspaper at the time, and the transition from SLC to SLU seemed to me to be a good opportunity to write a humorous article, one of my first attempts at writing something that would make people think and then laugh. 

So here is the article about the challenges of changing over from Southeastern Louisiana College to Southeastern Louisiana University, particularly in the area of acronyms for the various college departments. I was told that after the president of the university read it, he laughed and said he had enjoyed it. I was certainly relieved to hear that. 

Click on the image to make it more readable.